Thursday 9 April 2015

Cheering My Way to Croatia!

So recently I've found myself accidentally in a cheerleading squad. Yes, it just kind of happened! Although I'm a dancer it's very different from cheerleading, and I can safely say I've never really had an interest in it. But one of my friends runs a squad nearby, and he asked me to stand in for someone on his Masters team for a competition at the start of the year.

Always eager to stay active and try something new, I said of course I would help my friend out. Although I was a bit apprehensive - naturally I thought it would be full of people looking like this and being bitches of the year, Bring It On style.



But guess what? It wasn't! As I was part of the Masters team, that meant it's the over 25's team, so most of us have grown out of bitching. In fact I'm the youngest person in the squad - most of the women are in their 40s or older, so it's not your typical intimidating cheer squad :) The routine is really fun, and we competed at Manchester Velodrome in March.

We won 1st place and so did my friend's Senior Team in their category - winners all round for Fever Elite. So here comes the really exciting news...I'm going to Croatia!!





As we qualified in the UK Championships, both teams now get a chance to compete in the European Championships, which this year are being held in Zadar, Croatia. The Masters team have been incredibly lucky to get fully sponsored - which means a free trip to Croatia for us in June. I'm so lucky, and fingers crossed we bring home that trophy too!

However, the Fever Elite Seniors - who are really the main, younger cheerleaders who are extremely talented and deserve this chance - they have not yet been sponsored. The costs associated with this trip are huge, even though the competition is only for a weekend. Flights to Zadar are expensive and hard to find, and the accommodation is also pricey as it is in peak season and at the same time as Hideout Festival. (Which, by the way, I really wanted to attend after the comp but there's no way I can afford it and no one will come with me!)

So anyway, the cost of getting the Senior team is going to be huge so we're in the process of organising fundraising events to try and make sure all the girls can go. Here is the Go Fund Me page if you'd like to help out: http://www.gofundme.com/Feverelite 


Fever Elite seniors in action at UKCA Competition
But I am so excited for this amazing opportunity. I've always wanted to go to Croatia, and now I can add it to my list! I'll post all the photos on here of course and keep you updated.





No comments:

Post a Comment